VyprVPN is a virtual private service. It was designed by Golden Frog, a company founded by Ron and Carolyn Yokubaitis in 2009. Developed to provide people with privacy and security solutions and access to free and open internet, GoldenFrog is headquartered in Switzerland, a country which respects the rights of internet users. VyprVPN is available on multiple devices, including Android, iOS, Mac, Windows operating systems. With over 2 million customers, VyprVPN allows you to connect securely to any of its many servers around the world while maintaining privacy.
VyprVPN is not free; instead, it operates a trialware license offering a trial period of three days. It allows users to stream and watch geo-restricted content from anywhere. It is also compatible with smart TVs and Routers and offers setup guides for routers like DD-WRT, OpenWRT, AsusWRT, etc. VyprVPN is available in only five languages, namely, English, Chinese, French, Spanish, and Dutch.
As a new VPN service, we have taken effort to discuss the features, pros, and cons of VyprVPN in this review.
VyprVPN ensures privacy and security using multiple VPN protocols, i.e., OpenVPN, L2TP/IPsec, PPTP, and Chameleon. It has over 200,000 shared IP addresses on 700+ servers across five continents. The company maintains a strict no logs policy. In a bit to prove its commitment to ensuring transparency, a forensic audit of the company was carried out by Leviathan Security. Read the VyprVPN Letter of Attestation and No Log Assessment full here. Information that will not be logged includes the user’s IP address, assigned/shared IP, connection time, user traffic, and DNS requests.
It uses 256-bit encryption to keep its users safe from hackers, ISPs, and government. It masks user IP by assigning a shared IP, thus, what the web sees only the server IP and location. It has its pricing plans as follows
- Basic: Priced at $9.95/month, it allows a maximum of 3 devices. The yearly subscription is $5.00/month. Thus, the user pays $60.00 every 12 months.
- Premium: Priced at $12.95/month, you can connect a maximum of 5 devices and enjoy other features like Chameleon protocol, VyprVPN Cloud. The yearly subscription is $6.67/month with a yearly billing of $80.00.
VyprVPN servers can be used to bypass censorship anywhere in the world. You can use public Wi-Fi and be assured that your connection is protected from snoops. In case when a server is unavailable or overloaded, it switches to another server within the same region. VyprVPN provides excellent VPN service.
We have studied the VyprVPN service and observed it has a few outstanding features. It also has proprietary technologies put in place to ensure safe, private internet communication. These are;
Privacy and Security
VyprVPN offers quality privacy and security solutions for its users. With 700+ servers in several locations across North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Africa, and Oceania, it provides 200,000+ IP addresses for masking user information. These servers are encrypted with standard AES encryption such that every data traffic is protected for snoops. By connecting to any of its servers, your IP address would be hidden, and the service would assign a new IP which would be seen on the internet. Also, apps used, websites visited, or other browsing activities are inaccessible.
It has multiple VPN protocols which determine the level of encryption, speed, and protection for various accounts. Supported VPN protocols include;
- L2TP/IPsec: The IPsec protocol is built-in most mobile phones and computers. It supports L2TP & IKEv2, thereby delivering quality, fast, and secure performance.
- OpenVPN: This is the most secure, reliable, and industry standard protocol for computers with Linux, Mac, and Microsoft Windows operating systems.
- Chameleon: This is VyprVPN proprietary protocol. It helps to fight censorship in internet-controlled countries. It has been tested and proven to provide internet access for people living in China, India, and the Middle East. It is available on Android, Mac, Windows, and routers. The protocol is not available for iOS devices presently due to VPN restrictions.
This is a protective feature that helps to protect the network from MITM (man-in-the-middle) attacks. All the virtual servers connected to by the service are wholly owned by the company and not third parties. Therefore, its DNS service is strictly for VyprVPN users.
No Logging Policy
Also, in maintaining its transparency about the privacy of user data, VyprVPN has a strict no logging policy. The servers don’t log user IP address nor VPN connection data. Therefore, there is no selling of user data to ISPs, governments, etc. The company has an audit of its operations to this effect. Lastly, the company is incorporated in Switzerland, a country with favorable privacy laws.
This is a privacy solution developed for businesses. It offers a dedicated IP address and VPN server for connecting to the internet. VyprVPN provides a secure API which protects your internet connection. It is flexible in that it allows you to connect to your existing applications. It also allows up to 10 concurrent connections on each account. Supported platforms include Amazon web services, DigitalOcean, VirtualBox, etc. VyprVPN for Business Cloud has a 7-day trial period. To download, click here.
This feature helps to maintain user privacy when VyprVPN disconnects. The Kill Switch stops all internet applications from sending and receiving data.
It allows users to stream content on popular streaming sites like Spotify, Netflix, YouTube, etc.
Multiple Device Compatibility
VyprVPN is available on Android, iOS, Mac, and Windows operating systems. It is also compatible with routers, QNAP, Anonabox, Blackphone, and Android TVs. It also has detailed setup guides for various routers. VyprVPN allows a maximum of 5 simultaneous connections on a single subscription.
Pros and Cons
- Security: VyprVPN offers secure, fast browsing experience for its users. With the service, your browsing activities are encrypted and kept private. It maintains a no logs policy which ensures that none of the VyprVPN servers keep a record of user’s connection or activity logs.
- Public Audit: VyprVPN conducted an audit of its operation using an independent firm which further showed that VyprVPN doesn’t log user information on its network.
- Active Customer Support: VyprVPN has a live chat feature on its website. Therefore, its customer representatives are available 24/7 365.
- Proprietary Protocol and DNS service: It has the Chameleon protocol, which helps to ensure secure internet connection. Also, all servers are owned by GoldenFrog Inc. and not third-parties thus preventing spying.
- Multiple Devices: It allows up to five simultaneous connections.
- It supports Torrenting and has Netflix compatibility.
- It has a small number of servers.
- It doesn’t have a money back guarantee for any of its subscriptions.
VyprVPN has two business versions namely;
- VyprVPN for Business: This is an application which provides double protection for companies when sending emails, sharing files, and accessing resources in or outside the office network. Its features include multiple user management, dedicated account manager, and servers. With a yearly payment of $299, buy the software here.
- VyprVPN for Business Cloud: This is a cloud VPN that provides total protection for the network. Available for $349 per year.
VyprVPN is compatible with Android, iOS, Mac, Windows Operating systems. It is also available on Android TV, Apple TV, and Routers. It also has setup guides for various supported routers.
VyprVPN provides adequate security and privacy solutions for its users. With multiple servers available, users can have a private experience surfing the internet. It has fantastic features such as Kill Switch, AES encryption, No Log policy, which makes it a recommendable VPN. VyprVPN is available on Android, iOS, Mac, and Windows-based systems. It is also available on smart TVs and Routers. For additional information about the service, visit the website.